Skip to main content

Site notifications

Hemp products

Some specific hemp seed and fibre products may be imported without requiring a licence and permit from the Office of Drug Control (ODC).

Some hemp seed and fibre products can be imported without a licence and permit because they are considered a food under a relevant food standard. These products must not exceed the stated thresholds for cannabinoids.

It is important to be aware that only the seeds of the hemp plant can be used for human consumption - extracts from the remainder of the plant are considered a drug.

For example, hemp seed oil is the oil obtained by cold pressing the ripened fruits (seeds) of a plant in the genus Cannabis. Hemp seed oil does not contain cannabinoids, such as cannabidiol (CBD).

Applicable food standards and local state and territory laws may have different requirements for importation, including thresholds for cannabinoids. You must ensure you comply with all other legal requirements.


Medicinal Cannabis Expert Working Group (MCEWG)

The Medicinal Cannabis Expert Working Group (MCEWG) provides advice to the Australian Government Department of Health and Aged Care on issues relating to the medicinal use of cannabis, in accordance with the Narcotic Drugs Act 1967 and the Therapeutic Goods Act 1989. It aims to address emerging issues and developments in the field of medicinal cannabis.


Help us improve the Office of Drug Control site